Friday, May 30, 2008

Lucchese's

Friday, May 23, 2008

Tonight we get to perform again at Lucchese's Italian restaurant. The place was packed again, as usual, through most of the evening. I just love that place because of the Lucchese family and their great staff (not to mention all the wonderful guests who express how much they enjoy our music). It's evident that many in the community also feel the same way as I do about Lucchese's! I simply cannot say enough good things about them.

I must admit, however, to an oversight from my last blog write up. I failed to mention one very helpful staff member who deserves special recognition, for sure. Her name is Tammy (with a "Y"). When we first played there back in May, she was kind enough to help orient me to where the power outlets are and showed me which room to store our instrument cases. She was so conscientious, too, of our need for an extension cord tucked away in the corner of the dining room. The only problem is, guests seated right where the cord was plugged in. We have to wait until they finish their meal and vacate the table before we can power up for our first set. The unique thing about all this is, I didn't have to worry about any of this one bit. Tammy takes care of all of it. Never mind that she already has her hands full serving guests and waiting on tables! She's going to handle this for us. And handle it she did! Thank-you Tammy (with a "Y")!

By the way... the next time you make reservations at Lucchese's, be sure to request Tammy as your server - she's a real professional at what she does and will make your dining experience a very special one, indeed!

The second staff member I want to mention is Stacy (also with a "Y"). I met Stacy during a break as I was visiting with a couple of dear friends. Stacy busses tables and is just a sweetheart. She thanked us for our music because, as she puts it, the music helps her to relax while she works! I'll take that as a compliment! Thank-you, Stacy!

All in all, the night was very special. Several groups of friends came specifically to hear us and a couple of them stayed right through the final set at 11pm. We are so grateful for your support!

The Luccheses are so kind and hospitable to us, too. (Did I mention this already?) Consistent with their tradition of great Italian hospitality, they make sure we've had something to eat. Now, I said this the last time I wrote about Luccheses that, typically, club and restaurant owners generally do not accommodate the band members. But like my Italian grandmother, they simply will not let us leave on empty stomachs! They are incredible people this way. In fact, it was big Zach (bartender, security enforcement and part-time lion tamer) who asks if we're hungry. Now, one never wants to offend an Italian by refusing an offer of hospitality. I'm not sure if Zach is even Italian. It really matters little, however, when one is dealing with a guy the size of Zach. Even if you've just had a four course meal complete with cheesecake and coffee for dessert. Perhaps you're barely breathing you've eaten so much. If Zach happens to ask if you're hungry, my advice is to reply with an enthusiastic, "Why yes - very!" (Fewer words make Italians happier). Again, Zach may not even be Italian - the issue at this point is about personal
security - you never want to offend a guy that big.

Finally, I'm often asked when we'll be performing next at Lucchese's. Since I now have someone who manages the performance schedule, my general response is usually to offer a smile and a impressively blank stare. I simply cannot remember from one day to the next where we're scheduled to be. There was a day, I suppose, when I was expected to apologize for such incompetence. However, the beauty in all this is that I no longer NEED to remember this stuff! It's now in very capable hands - handled by someone possessing an administrative skill set which I could only dream of.

So whenever I'm asked where we're scheduled play next, the only thing I need to remember anymore is that I have business cards in my pocket. I reach in, grab a card and hand it to the inquiring individual. Our business card directs you to our blogspot (which lists the trio's performance schedule). It's that easy.

Perhaps you're asking, "So, where are you guys playing next?" If so, then visit us at tomhilliker.blogspot.com. There you'll find our performance schedule. In case you're not asking the question, let me then simply tell you that we'll be at Lucchese's on the following dates:

June 14
July 11, 25
August 9, 23
September 6 and 20.

Don't forget to mark your calendar for a weekend of great jazz when the Elkhart Jazz Festival comes to downtown Elkhart, June 20-22. We'll also be performing for Lucchese's at their new
CR 17 location on the opening night of the festival, Friday, June 20th. It promises to be a wonderful time of great music, the best Italian food in town and fun-loving jazz lovers from all over the country.

Pick one of the dates above and come join us at Lucchese's. We look forward to seeing you!

Tom
(A word to the wise....with the exception of the Jazz Festival, don't forget to make dinner reservations or... you may wind up eating at Arby's or Dairy Queen :)

No comments: