Saturday, May 10, 2008

Lucchese's Italian Restaurant

Saturday, May 3, 2008
This was our first time performing at Lucchese's Italian Restaurant in Elkhart, IN. Lucchese's is a high quality, highly respected establishment that's occupied a significant place among Elkhart dining establishments for many, many years now. However, in 2007 the family moved to a brand new location in a rapidly developing area on the east side of town. Needless-to-say, their new restaurant is absolutely gorgeous and 2 to 3 times larger than their previous location.
My first contact with the Lucchese's was in talking with Zach Lucchese by phone. Zach is the owner's son and serves as the Executive Chef. I would also include that he is a real gentleman and tremendously accommodating. I met with Zach Lucchese in person at the restaurant about a week before our gig to determine where the band would set up and talk through some logistic details. We decided the most optimal location would be in the restaurant area (vs. the bar) since start time for the band is at 6:30pm and the reservation list confirmed that the room would be already quite full by then.
Well, finally Saturday, May 3rd arrives and, sure enough, the place is filling up fast! As soon as I enter the front door, I am greeted by two young hostesses, Alex and Tracy. They're very gracious and helpful in orienting me to where things are and what I need to know to get things set up before the rest of the trio arrives. Before I even get to see Zach, however, another Zach (a much larger one, indeed!) greets me. He's a towering figure (of course, to an Italian like me, it seems most everyone around you qualifies as a towering figure). Zach sports a light brown goatee, a silver chain around his neck (bearing a cross) and a huge, warm smile. Everything about this Zach is enormous: his warmth, his smile, and when he shakes hands, for a moment you lose all sight of your own as his enormous hand envelops yours! (I found myself praying one of those nano-second prayers: "Lord, please don't let him squeeze too hard - I this hand tonight!". The beautiful thing about Zach is his gentleness and thoughtfulness. He personifies the "gentle giant" image!
Moments later, I'm greeted by the other Zach (Lucchese), who welcomes me and introduces me to his father Greg. Later I meet Kathy, Greg's wife. What impresses me most about Lucchese's is their genuine hospitality and love for people. In addition, every one of their staff members - and I mean every one - is so kind and eager to assist with anything you might need. They couldn't seem to do enough for us throughout the night. Why, we were even asked, "You guys are probably hungry! What would you like to eat?!!" I'm thinking, "Are you kidding? Do you realize who we are?" (If you are a musician yourself, you are well aware that musicians typically do not receive any special treatment, particularly by the owners!) The wonderful thing about working for the Luccheses is that they shatter those stereotypes and treat every one as honored
guests - musicians or not. They truly are beautiful people.
Since I grew up in an Italian family, I do know something about European hospitality. Particularly among Italians, a guest in one's home receives royal treatment - enough food to stop you from breathing and the very best wine in the house. My guess is the Lucchese family is no different. One gets the impression, however, that the Italian hospitality displayed at the restaurant is simply a reflection of how they treat guests in their own home - only in their "larger" home. It was impressive, too, to watch Greg and Kathy enjoy time sitting with their guests and enjoying the evening with them. They didn't appear rushed or stressed that it was a "work" day for them. In fact, if you didn't know them, you would assume they were guests, too!
A real treat for me was having my son Josh visiting from Nashville, TN where he works as a musician himself. Not only was he visiting, he was scheduled to perform with the band. He's a very talented musician who plays, among other instruments, awesome drums. He sounded great the whole night (as usual) - one of my favorite drummers, indeed!
After playing three sets in the restaurant, big Zach asked if we would consider carrying our gear into the bar area to play for the guests gathered in there. Of course, we would! (For that guy, I'll do anything!) Besides, he's too big to say "no" to. Actually, he made us feel like kings - helping us with the set up in the bar and making sure we had plenty to drink the whole night. Again, they just can't do enough for you at Lucchese's. We were scheduled to play until 10:30pm but ended up playing until 11:00pm. Frankly, for these people, I'd play all night long if they asked - they are just beautiful people who make an already fun evening even more fun.
Well, I could go on and on about the Lucchese family and their wonderful staff. But let me just say that the night was such a hit, they asked us to return and consider performing for them twice a month (check the blog for our performance dates at Lucchese's). In addition, we'll be providing the music for Lucchese's during the Elkhart Jazz Festival. They are planning to set up a huge tent in the parking lot of their old location on Jackson Street during Jazz Fest weekend (June 20-22).
In case you didn't catch us last Saturday, our next scheduled appearance at Lucchese's is Friday, May 23rd at 7:00pm. If you are looking for great Italian food and dynamic acoustic jazz, come join us then.(They serve one of best Caesar Salads I've ever had - no kidding!) I must warn you, however. The word is out about Lucchese's. It's an absolutely fabulous place to take your family. It's not unusual for people without reservations to be turned away (or at least wait a very long time) due to the sheer popularity of the place. SO...... be sure to make reservations if you plan to eat at Lucchese's on either a Friday or Saturday night. If not, you simply won't get in.
Do you think it's too early to reserve a table for the 23rd? I don't. Especially if lots of other families are thinking the same thing! So, make that phone call!! look forward to seeing you then!

Arrivederci!
Tom

No comments: