Monday, July 21, 2008

Monty Alexander

With all that's been going on, it's been awhile since I've written an entry. So, I'm going to take us back a couple of weeks to....

June 19, 2008
This day was a very long -awaited date on my calendar. Why? Because one of the greatest jazz pianists was scheduled to play at the new location of the Jazz Showcase---one of the oldest and most respected jazz clubs in North America. I call Monty "The Happy Piano Player".

He's also a personal friend. In fact, my relationship with Monty Alexander goes back to 1979....I had recently joined Barry Keiner's trio in Rochester, NY. Barry was a prodigious, young pianist who died tragically several years later. We were performing at a club called, "Chez Jean Pierre's" and Monty's band was working just around the corner. I would catch his band during our breaks and, unbeknown to me, he checked us out during his break. About a year later, after completing my first year in college, I received a call from New York City---it was Monty Alexander. He asked if I would join his band! My response? "Well, Monty, if I don't finish college now, I probably never will." Let's just call this one of the most regrettable decisions of my life!!

The fact is however, Monty and I have remained close friends. He would call me at college to discuss all kinds of things---life, love, family---everything. I love Monty. He is such a dear friend to me. Today meant so much to me. The fact that I was able to see him again and finally meet his wife of 10 year years, Caterina. She is an absolute delight! We go to hang out with Monty and Caterina afterward----how fun was that? We heard stories about Ray Brown and learned something of Monty's philosophy about the need for the right chemistry among musicians on the bandstand. WOW! Talk about insight!

If you ever feel like checking out one of the world's greatest jazz pianists, go to his website (click on the link above) check out his performance schedule, and please go hear him. You won't be disappointed!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tom... You need to update your stuff. I'm bored. Muah!

- Jenna from Fitz