Sunday, April 20, 2008

Maxine's

Are you looking for a fun way to spend a day (now that summer seems to REALLY be here...I think)? Well...why not consider a day trip to Michigan City, IN? What? You've never been to Michigan City? DUDE! Well, are you in for a treat! There, you can stroll the sandy shoreline of Lake Michigan, bike ride the miles of bike trails and paved roads, visit the outlet mall and the many quaint shops, most of which are within walking distance from each other. After a day of walking the beach, bike riding or just moseying through the charming boutiques, I'm sure your feet will be gasping for a time out. so....how would you like to cap off a long, yet exhilarating day, with a wonderfully elegant dining experience? How would you like to be pampered and waited on in real style in an atmosphere of live jazz and friendly faces? Sound Good? Then let me take you to Maxines' Restaurant on Franklin Street in Michigan City.

At Maxine's, it's always safest to make reservations, but even if you decide to drop in on the fly, you won't be disappointed. When you arrive, you'll be warmly greeted by either Stephanie (hostess) or Karl (owner), both of whom are exceptionally hospitable people. (You'll know when it's Karl---first, since he's not nearly as pretty as Stephanie; but second, his sense of humor is surprising and disarming. He'll have you laughing before he's even introduced himself!) I intentionally watch Karl do his magic every time I'm there setting up to play---he can make perfect strangers feel immediately right at home and glad they came.

Everything abut Maxine's simply exudes "class" and warmth. I look forward to playing there every chance I get. Why? Because of the people who work there. They are the ones who shape the beautiful ambiance of the place and give Maxine's her personality. Why else do guests visit time and time again? Oh, sure...their famous prime rib dinner is just off the charts fantastic, not to mention everything else on the menu----from appetizers to desserts and everything in between. It's all exquisitely gourmet level! But, again, I insist, it's the great staff of Maxine's whom guest enjoy visiting too.

Maryann, the tall (I mean tall) blond who tends the bar, delights her guests with her warmth and friendly personality. There's Kathy and Sabrina, both great servers. (They're both wonderfully accommodating ladies who just can't seem to do enough for you.) Then there's Phil--oh, Phil...the life of Maxine's! He's just one of those rare individuals who is an absolute delight to be around---always cheerful, loves to laugh, enjoys people and is a consummate professional at what he does.

Jim and I were privileged to perform last night to a full house (Jim on piano and I on bass). How good it is to see both the dining area and bar finally teaming with guests eager to say farewell to the long, dark months of winter and hello to the warm sunshine of summer. The walls were alive with laughter and life. I like to think our music contributes to that energy too.

If you're a musician, I think you'll understand what I'm about to say...Do you ever feel this overwhelming anticipation...this excitement...this enthusiasm that comes over you as you anticipate counting off the first tune of the evening? I do. Every time. Without fail. It doesn't matter where I get to play, or how late or early it is. The fact is, I GET to play music again! I think that sense of anticipation is why I love to play so much. Or, perhaps it's because I love to play so much that explains why I feel like a little boy anticipating his first party at Chuckee Cheese's or something! (Now, THAT is a really dumb analogy, but I think you get my drift.)

What only exhilarates that sense of expectancy relates undoubtedly to who it is one gets to play music with. And, for me, I get to play with Jim Steele---one of the best pianists in all of north central Indiana. His creative musical energy is a real gift (along with the many other gifts God has blessed me with). There exists a deep musical compatibility between us that lends itself to certain magical moments within the music. Talk about fun! And, the truly incredible part is that I don't HAVE to do this, I GET to! It should be against the law to have this much fun in life---but I'll take it!

So, many of our guest last night expressed sincere appreciation for our music (the tip jar reflected it too!). Not only were there generous tippers, but others verbally thanked us as they walked by the band on their way out the door. At the end of the night, one gentleman, Dave, introduced himself to us. He couldn't say enough about how much he enjoyed our music. He really seemed to enjoy the fact that I switched toward the end of the night from the double bass to playing my six string electric bass. That shift offers an entirely different sound, too---an element that wasn't lost on him, and he made it known! Most people who come to listen us us certainly appreciate the music, But when someone in the audience actually UNDERSTANDS the music, or some artistic nuance within it---well, that always causes our hearts to skip a beat. Thanks, Dave!

I do hope you make a point to visit us soon at Maxine's (check our schedule to the right). Karl and his staff are good at what they do---and that 's to provide you one of the most memorable dining experiences you'll find anywhere. You'll enjoy it immensely. In fact, I guarantee it will be a fun evening for you and whomever you come with. It always is. You will have so much fun meeting Maxine's warm caring staff, and enjoying their succulent entrees against the background of some of the best jazz in the area. As much fun as that will be for you,---and I guarantee it will be---it probably won't be nearly the fun we have playing for you!
Hope to see you soon!

Tom Hilliker

No comments: